Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Knowing


The Weeknd at Congress Theater, Chicago



It was Friday night in Chicago around 7pm. I had been walking for almost an hour downtown, already soaking wet from the pouring rain (umbrellas are completely useless when there is wind!!!). I had lost track of how many blocks it had been, and was desperately looking down the street for any open taxis, which of course there were none. As all my friends know, I normally have no problem being fashionably late, but tonight was different. Tonight I had tickets to see The Weeknd at Congress!!! I had first downloaded the House of Balloons mixtape while I was living in London a year and a half ago, and since then his mixtapes have dominated my speakers and headphones. 





Words can’t even describe how excited I was, I had heard mixed reviews of how he was live but I didn’t care. I remember getting lost trying to find a cab and literally just felt like bawling because I thought I would miss the show. Eventually I stumbled on the blue line and made it to Amanda’s, who conveniently lives only a few blocks away from the venue. I was a mess, my hair and clothes were wet and my mascara was basically running down my face but I made it!!



Congress was PACKED, I definitely was not expecting to see so many people. The crowd kept on throwing X’s up in the air during all his songs. Whoever told me the The Weeknd wasn’t a good performer clearly did not know what they were talking about. It was amazing to see such raw talent live, and I am so glad I made it. My only regret is that I wasn’t in the first row (I was in a decent spot but I’m used to fighting my way to the front somehow). I’m not too worried about it though, I have a feeling I will see him perform again. xo


No comments:

Post a Comment